With this kind of error, I usually start by raising the
postBuffer size by:
git config --global http.postBuffer 524288000
(some comments below report having to double the value):
git config --global http.postBuffer 1048576000
git config man page,
http.postBuffer is about:
Maximum size in bytes of the buffer used by smart HTTP transports when POSTing data to the remote system.
For requests larger than this buffer size, HTTP/1.1 and
Transfer-Encoding: chunkedis used to avoid creating a massive pack file locally. Default is 1 MiB, which is sufficient for most requests.
Even for clone, that can have an effect, and in this instance, the OP Joe reports:
[clone] works fine now
Note: if something went wrong on the server side, and if the server uses Git 2.5+ (Q2 2015), the error message might be more explicit.
See “Git cloning: remote end hung up unexpectedly, tried changing
postBuffer but still failing”.
Kulai (in the comments) points out to this Atlassian Troubleshooting Git page, which adds:
Error code 56indicates a curl receive error of
CURLE_RECV_ERRORwhich means there was some issue that prevented the data from being received during the clone process.
Typically this is caused by a network setting, firewall, VPN client, or anti-virus that is terminating the connection before all data has been transferred.
It also mentions the following environment variable, order to help with the debugging process.
# Linux export GIT_TRACE_PACKET=1 export GIT_TRACE=1 export GIT_CURL_VERBOSE=1 #Windows set GIT_TRACE_PACKET=1 set GIT_TRACE=1 set GIT_CURL_VERBOSE=1
- Git :git – error: RPC failed； curl 18 transfer closed with outstanding read data remaining
- Git clone Error: RPC failed; curl 18 transfer closed with outstanding read data remaining
- Git Fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly [How to Solve]
- RPC failed; curl 56 SSLRead() return error -9806
- error: RPC failed; curl 18 transfer closed with outstanding read data remaining
- MYSQL Error: Out of sort memory, consider increasing server sort buffer size; nested exception is java.sql.SQLException: Out of sort memory, consider increasing server sort buffer size
- [Solved] Git Submit Error: (OpenSSL SSL_read: Connection was reset, errno 10054)
- 4 Methods to Solve Error: Server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /e
- Git Error: RPC failed, curl 18 transfer closed with outstanding read data remaining
- ERROR 2006 (HY000): MySQL server has gone away No